What's in This Guide?
Throwing a warm, fuzzy blanket on the bed is like sinking into a cloud of comfort. It’s the perfect way to wind down after a long day, or to get ready for a good night’s sleep. But making that blanket yourself can be tricky. Maybe you don’t have the time or patience to sew by hand? No problem! In this blog post, we will show you how to make a chunky throw blanket using simple stitches and an easy pattern. So grab some wool yarn, some scissors, and get started on your very own cozy throw blanket!
What You’ll Need
What you will need:
-1 ball of yarn in your desired color(s)
-Crochet hook size H (5.0 mm) or size needed to obtain the correct gauge
How to Make the Blanket
Making a chunky throw blanket is a great way to use up leftover yarn and create a cozy blanket for yourself or a friend. Follow these simple steps to make your own:
1. Begin by knitting or crocheting a square blanket using the given yarn and hook size. The finished size should be about 60×60 inches (152×152 cm).
2. To create the desired texture, begin chunky knitting or crochet stitches in each of the four corners of your square blanket. Do not join the rounds, but instead pull the working yarn between each stitch to create a textured fabric.
3. When you are finished, tie off all of your stitches and cut the yarn, leaving about 18 inches (45 cm) for sewing.
4. Sew together two opposite corners of your blanket so that they form an X shape. Make sure that the seam is evenly spaced throughout so that it does not show on the finished product. Then do this with all four corners of your blanket.
5. Turn your Blanket right side out and pick up some extra stitches along one side seam, making sure to leave enough space to turn again (about 2 inches/5 cm). Pull through all remaining loops on your hook and fasten off using another knot (try a slipknot if you’re feeling fancy). You’re now done!
How to Make the Edging
There are a few things you’ll need to make this chunky throw blanket:
-Crochet hook size H (5.0 mm)
-Worsted weight yarn in black, white, and light green
-Ruler or measuring tape
Chunky Throw Blanket Instructions:
1. Start by crocheting a chain of 54 stitches. Slip stitch into the first stitch to form a ring.
2. Work in pattern using the black, white, and light green yarn together (working each color in separate rounds). Round 1: Black (dc, ch 2, dc), repeat around. Round 2: White (ch 2, sc), repeat around. Round 3: Light green (sc, dc, ch 2, dc), repeat around. Fasten off and weave in ends. Chunky Throw Blanket Finished Height: 16 inches
How to Assemble the Blanket
If you’re a fan of big and cozy blankets, you need to check out this tutorial for assembling a chunky throw blanket. This blanket is perfect for the chilly weather – it’s soft and warm at the same time.
To make this blanket, you will need some basic supplies: a blanket form, yarn, scissors, and a crochet hook. The first step is to measure your desired finished dimensions, and then cut the yarn accordingly. Next, start crocheting in the round with a medium-sized crochet hook. Be sure to keep an even tension throughout your stitches (it’s okay if your blanket is slightly uneven), and take care not to pull too tight on the yarn. Once you’ve completed your rounds, it’s time to bind off your work by cutting off all of the remaining yarn tails. You can now sew the seams together using a seam allowance of ½ inch (12 mm). Finally, weave in any loose ends.
Tips for Making a Chunky Throw Blanket
There are many different ways to make a chunky throw blanket. Some people prefer to use a heavy worsted weight yarn and others might use a sport or DK weight yarn. The size of the blanket will also depend on the number of stitches you want it to be. For a basic throw blanket, you will need about 120-130 stitches.