What's in This Guide?
- 1 How to Clean an Electric Blanket by Hand
- 2 How Do You Clean a Dirty Electric Blanket?
- 3 Are Electric Blankets Washable?
- 4 How Do You Wash a Blanket Without a Washing Machine?
- 5 Can You Wash a Heated Blanket With Wires in It?
- 6 How to Wash an Electric Blanket Safely | Clean With Confidence
- 7 Conclusion
An electric blanket can save you a lot of money on your heating bill during the winter. But, like any other bedding, it needs to be cleaned regularly in order to prevent the build-up of dust mites, dirt, and bacteria. The good news is that cleaning an electric blanket is relatively easy and doesn’t require a trip to the laundromat.
- Unplug the electric blanket and remove it from the bed
- Fold the blanket in half and tie a rope or cord around it to keep it together
- Place the electric blanket in a large garbage bag or plastic container
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the bag or container
- Shake the baking soda around so that it covers the entire surface of the electric blanket
- Let the electric blanket sit for 24 hours with the baking soda on it
How to Clean an Electric Blanket by Hand
An electric blanket is a great way to stay warm in bed, but it can be difficult to clean. Here are some tips on how to clean an electric blanket by hand:
1. Unplug the blanket and remove any detachable parts, such as the control panel or cord.
2. Place the blanket in a large tub or sink. Fill the tub with enough warm water to cover the blanket.
4. Submerge the blanket in the water and soak for 15-20 minutes. Gently agitate the water occasionally to help loosen any dirt or debris on the blanket. 5. Drain the tub and rinse the blanket several times with fresh, clean water until all traces of soap are gone.
Be sure to wring out excess water each time you rinse. 6 .
How Do You Clean a Dirty Electric Blanket?
If your electric blanket is looking a little worse for wear, don’t despair – it can be cleaned! Here’s how:
First, remove the blanket from the bed and unplug it.
Then, shake out any loose dirt or debris. Next, spot clean any areas that are particularly dirty using a mild detergent and a damp cloth. Be sure to rinse the area thoroughly afterwards.
Once you’ve spot cleaned the blanket, it’s time to wash it in your washing machine. Use warm water and a gentle cycle, then add a small amount of mild detergent. Wash the blanket alone – do not add any other items of clothing to the load.
After washing, dry your electric blanket on low heat or air dry (if possible). Once it’s completely dry, put it back on your bed and plug it in!
Are Electric Blankets Washable?
Yes, electric blankets are washable! You’ll want to consult your blanket’s care instructions for the best way to wash it, but in general, you can machine wash electric blankets on a gentle cycle with cold water. Be sure to avoid using fabric softeners or bleach.
You may also need to air dry your blanket or use a low heat setting on your dryer.
How Do You Wash a Blanket Without a Washing Machine?
Assuming you don’t have access to a washing machine, you can wash your blanket by hand. Start by filling a tub or sink with lukewarm water and adding a mild detergent. Gently agitate the blanket in the water to loosen any dirt or debris, then let it soak for 15-20 minutes.
After soaking, rinse the blanket thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. You may need to repeat this process several times if your blanket is very dirty. Once the blanket is rinsed, squeeze out any excess water and hang it up to dry.
Depending on the type of fabric, it may take a few hours or days for the blanket to completely dry.
Can You Wash a Heated Blanket With Wires in It?
You can absolutely wash a heated blanket with wires in it – and you don’t even have to be too careful. Just pop it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle with some mild detergent and let it do its thing. If your blanket has a removable controller, make sure to take it off before washing.
Once the cycle is finished, just hang your blanket up to dry (no need for the tumble dryer). Easy peasy!
How to Wash an Electric Blanket Safely | Clean With Confidence
If your electric blanket is starting to look a little bit worse for wear, don’t worry – you can clean it without having to put it through a wash cycle. All you need is some warm water, a mild detergent, and a little bit of elbow grease.
Next, mix together warm water and detergent in a bowl or bucket. Dip a sponge or cloth into the mixture and use it to scrub down the surface of the blanket, paying special attention to any areas that are stained or look particularly dirty. Rinse the sponge or cloth frequently in clean water to avoid spreading around any dirt.
Once you’ve finished scrubbing, rinse the blanket off with clean water. You can either do this in your tub or sink, or outside if weather permits. Hang the blanket up to dry – ideally in direct sunlight if possible – and make sure it’s completely dry before folding it up and storing away until next winter.